January 02, 2011

Why I'm running for "Freedom is Not Free"

For 2011, I am adopting the Freedom is Not Free charity, which aids wounded Purple Heart recipients, their families and the families of the fatally wounded.  I will be running the LA Marathon on March 20th , 2011 to raise money and awareness for this organization.

The last time I ran the LA Marathon in 2003, my dad had just been diagnosed with Stage 4 colon cancer so I moved from Munich to Tacoma to be his caregiver his last three months of life. I had already signed up to run the marathon, so I tried to squeeze in moments at the gym to continue my training, but I just didn’t have the energy. Consequently, when I did show up for the race, I quit half way through. My spirit wasn’t into it, and my body was too depleted from lack of sleep and emotional distress.

My dad was a veteran of the Vietnam War and a career Army serviceman who went on to become the Sit Up King of Ft. Lewis, WA in his retirement, beating out all the young GIs with 5,000 sit-ups in one session. He was stoic, strong, and certainly no quitter.

I’m going back to LA this year, to finish what I started in 2003. For my dad, for Freedom is Not Free, and for anyone who doesn't want to be a quitter.

Here's a link to my CrowdRise page for FREEDOM IS NOT FREE where you can check out my progress and also help support the cause.

Wishing you good health and good love in 2011.

Thanks for reading this.

No quitting
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment